Hot water

Getting tired of our power bills going up and over 50% is for the off peak hot water which we don’t use much of, SWMBO only has a shower at home twice a week whether she needs it or not (she works in a sterile environment and has to shower before and after work), the dishwashed heats its own water and we cold wash just leaving me.
Look around and find a 170lt heatpump, not off peak but uses a hell of a lot less than the storage unit, we also get a Government incentive so it’s only costing us $249 fully installed, had the other unit been under 5 years old it would only have been $99.
I expect my bill to go up a bit but as we have solar it should negate a lot as it only draws 1kw compared to the 5kw+ off peak, our current bills are about $400 average per quarter and this should take off over $200.
Anyone who is interested have a look at www.chromagen.com.au not applicable in WA and Tas.

administrators

We ended up putting in a Sanden heat pump unit. Works a treat and is cheaper than any other option.

Why is your hot water so expensive? We switched from gas to off peak storage because out total annual elec hot water bill is less than the cost of hiring the gas bottles!

Our last full bill for a period when we were home is Dec-March. For that quarter we used 266kwh and tariff 31 off peak the total was $38.36 for the quarter. That’s a 320 litre storage unit with power fed between midnight and 6 am.

I’d grab the heat pump deal but get a much bigger storage capacity and lock it on after hours tariff only.

The more volume of water, the greater the heat sink and the less heating required. Curious but true.

We have Nightrate storage hot water, we both have at least 2 showers a day, I’ll have more if I have been working in the garden, we wash in warm water, we have a dishwasher but it is too shallow for pots & pans so I usually do a wash up in hot water every night, I rinse everything in hot water before it goes in the dishwasher.
Our last power bill the hot water was $99 for 3 months, that is about $33 a month.

Something is a bit not right there.

@Cliff-Rogers said in Hot water:

Something is a bit not right there.

Cliff which “night rate” do you have? 33 I think is the “normal” one, 31 is about half the price again.

We have 31.

@bitingmidge said in Hot water:

Why is your hot water so expensive? We switched from gas to off peak storage because out total annual elec hot water bill is less than the cost of hiring the gas bottles!

Our last full bill for a period when we were home is Dec-March. For that quarter we used 266kwh and tariff 31 off peak the total was $38.36 for the quarter. That’s a 320 litre storage unit with power fed between midnight and 6 am.

I’d grab the heat pump deal but get a much bigger storage capacity and lock it on after hours tariff only.

The more volume of water, the greater the heat sink and the less heating required. Curious but true.

The heat pump works better and more efficiently when the ambient temperature is higher, night rate is not economical.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.