Calling the pizza gurus

Fired up the new wood fired oven and must admit it really is fantastic, a couple of little niggles which I will fix such as spilling pellets but will do a video on that later.
Problem, made the dough using Lighthouse bread and pizza flour, left to rise then put in the fridge for 24 hours, brought our, cut into three pieces, kneaded and made into a ball, oven fired up and ready to go so stretched and shaped the balls into 10" rounds, sauced and topped and the buggers shrunk back.
Very doughy which I expected so worked a bit faster on the next one, same problem, just shrunk back again.
I’m buggered if I know why, this is bakers flour, high gluten, strong flour call it what you will, why does it keep shrinking back, it makes for a crap pizza.
Having said that the oven works incredibly well and at 20 seconds it was time to pull out and turn around, nice crisp base and puffed top, having shrunk the middle was doughy.
maybe I’ll try plain flour next time unless someone can help me.

Plain flour works for me though rather than get properly prepared I generally make this one as needed, self raising flour 2 cups 1/2 cups finely blitzed Parmesan cheese, an egg 1/4 cup olive oil and about 1/2 cup chilled water or enough to make a good dough, kneed it on flour board and roll out, gives a good crisp base and a great taste.

I have used plain flour with mixed results so no longer buy ‘no name’.
Mine is 1 1/4 cup of water, good slug of olive oil, tsp each of salt and sugar, 3 cups flour and 2 tsp dried yeast, I do it in that order in the breadmaker and find it generally works well.
Never tried egg in pizza dough but have used a wholemeal mix 50:50 and tsp mixed herbs, the breadmaker warms the mix and helps it rise, I usually start this at midday for a 5pm pizza.

Maybe it was too dry?

Using egg would make it a bit like pasta dough.

It felt right, smooth almost silky and was not sticky, formed a ball OK but was reluctant to stretch properly, when I finally got it in the space of 10 seconds it shrunk back and was too thick.
I might try mixing strong and plain flour and see how it goes, going to have a shot at naan as well as thing thing is as hot as a tandoor.

I always use Lighthouse flour for my pizzas. I’ve never had the problem of which you speak.

Mine is just a basic dough of flour, yeast, salt, olive oil and water.

I generally let it proof for about 2 hours and then just make it into the base.

I only make enough for one pizza though. IE, 1 cup of flour and a tsp of yeast.

last edited by Craig

I must admit this is the first time I have left it for 24 hours after proving/proofing (I believe both are correct), maybe that is the problem but a lot of websites say this is the correct way to do it.
I shall try again next week.
Woolwoorths had strong flour on sale at $2.50 for 1kg, brand was Molino or something similar, the only bag they had was spilled so I shall look for it tomorrow.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.