Am I too pedantic?

Watching something on TV last night and the dreaded ad break came on, mind numbing stuff but what annoyed me was the voice over stating (in a very professional voice) the the product can be used ‘agenn, agenn and agenn’, Mr Pedant does not say this, I say ‘A-gain’ the way the word is spelled.
I get really pissed off with language abuse or is this generally accepted?
Also got an email from one of the ill educated illiterate gods at work in relation to annual leave, ‘when there is a leave period applied for and RDO’s are in the middle you need toad all dates’.
Took me a while to figure it out but we got there eventually.

administrators

What? You don’t toad dates?

Or date toads?

Or pay with a toad’s date?

I prefers frogs meself…

@bunyip said in Am I too pedantic?:

I prefers frogs meself…

Just don’t leave your tadpoles behind.

I believe either is acceptable, as in:

There was a young lady from Spain
Who liked it now and again
Not just now and then
Or now and again
But again and again and again.

the dreaded ad break came on, mind numbing stuff but what annoyed me was the voice over stating (in a very professional voice) the the product can be used ‘agenn, agenn and ag

“A-gain”? You sound like a proper southerner*

*Pronounced “suthen-er”

The less articulate would say ‘egin’, and I say ‘suthERNERS’.

The less articulate would say ‘egin’, and I say ‘suthERNERS’.

As a point of interest how do you pronounce the surname of the people named St John or St Clair.
Do you pedantically say “Saint John or Saint Clair”? or the common usage “Sinjin or Sinclair”?

Street John & Street Clair? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The surname Bury is pronounced Boo Rie as in Jury, the French composer Saint Sans is pronounced SanSon.
I do say Sinjin as that is what the owner of the name wants, we have a friend Dalziel who calls himself Dal Zeel but the poms call it Dee-Ell.
Remember a pompous old tart whose name was Onion, she called herself O-Nyon and a Japanese company I spent some time with many years ago had a hopeless little pisspot who pronounced his name Goo-Sarr-Shee, the spelling was Gutsache and that’s what we called him.
Most people pronounce my surname as if it were French and it should rhyme with Hammond (are you French, no, I am a bloody Scot).
Mustafa Phuque I believe is a myth along with Biggus Dickus.

Mustafa Phuque I believe is a myth along with Biggus Dickus.

…but not my friend, Armageddon Pierrestaff.

This is all most interesting, to the point where one may be tempted to say
"Whale oil beef hooked".

“we have a friend Dalziel who calls himself Dal Zeel but the poms call it Dee-Ell”

When I lived in Edinburgh I worked with a bloke whose name was David Dalziel. He and every other Scot I knew pronounced his surname Dee-Ell. So it’s not the poms who insist on that pronunciation. I also knew a couple of people named Menzies. One pronounced his name as it is spelt, the other was Mingees.

I reckon that it’s your name, you can pronounce it however you like.

As for “Again”, don’t forget that barristers always talk about arguing “agin” each other when they mean “against”.

Mustafa Phuque I believe is a myth along with Biggus Dickus

However, Hayward Yufukoff, Jack Meeoff and Haywood Jablowme, all of whom reside at 4 skin crescent are not myths.

‘Agin’ I associate with banjo’s, lack of teeth, illicit moonshine stills, Ozarks, bare feet and dungarees, yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa.
A close second are the erudite from Moe.

A close second are the erudite from Moe.

Surely that should be is the erudite from Moe. You can’t tell me there is more than one.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.