Amazon

Bought a lot of books, paper and Kindle, over 20+ years. Mostly these are never going to be carried by local bookshops - obscure, biographical etc… if Amazon kills the SW Pacific market because of a new tax the politicians are in for a good kicking. This is bloody bollocks. My regime will reverse this BS.

administrators

Yeah, I wonder what will happen to the e-book business. I don’t actually mind paying the 10%.

I can get around this fairly easily so won’t be such an issue.

Nothing will happen to Amazon’s business - we are such an insignificant bit of it that it doesn’t matter. 10% means nothing in terms of competitiveness, I’ll happily pay 10% and still save at least 80% of the cost of so many things! Aargh!

@bitingmidge Yes, the tax is just a minor pain; the issue is that Amazon is disabling access to the .com site so buying choice is severely restricted.

@murrayd99 said in Amazon:

@bitingmidge Yes, the tax is just a minor pain; the issue is that Amazon is disabling access to the .com site so buying choice is severely restricted.

I’m not sure it’s really so restricted Murray - if you look at the stuff on offer on Amazon, a lot is rubbish, not suitable for us (110v or some other blaah), terribly expensive to ship, or not available for shipping to us. I suspect that of the 14,000 items still available, all will be ebooks. Amazon AU will fill the gap admirably with stupid pricing.

BTW I have tried recently to buy a number of USB “C” gadgets from the US Amazon without success - they just won’t ship to us. I have in the past bought from Amazon UK, and I suspect that option will still be there?

I shall bribe my daughter in Annapolis with Vegemite to do any Amazon.com shopping I need.

No E books but check out Ali Express

@dog

G’day Dog. Been a while Sir. They already have some regional publishing restrictions. Some eBooks not available for sale in this region. If you (also) have a US shipping address it can work - maybe after an extended chat session they will see reason and release the order. The critical issue seems to be the CC billing address. If it is an offshore address ( non-US) they might not let it through. I see in our papers they are simply blocking all client orders from Au ISPs. As I said, if the politicians insist, for the sake of $1.50 on a Kindle eBook shipment , that Amazon collect their damn minuscule revenue, Amazon might well say fuckit. If so, no more eBooks downunder. Thing is, the retailers who are driving this can’t ship an eBook anyway - no loss or gain to them. Reckon Jeff is right. Collect you own tax if you must or bear the electoral consequences if we can’t place orders. Be interesting to see if our coalition takes fright.

@bitingmidge I have bought a few hand tools not available here. Bessey aviation snips for e.g. Nothing else seems capable of cutting the galv we use (more than once). With shipping, not bad $$$ at all… Mostly though, it is books, eBooks or paper that I buy… not available on the shelves locally, that concerns me. No local retailer is missing out on a red cent. They’d never stock the stuff I buy. e.g. Book of Shaker Furniture. I know, I’m fringe. Maybe we should compel them to carry all titles, all languages, worldwide. Or shut the fuck up.

@murrayd99 said in Amazon:

No local retailer is missing out on a red cent. They’d never stock the stuff I buy. e.g. Book of Shaker Furniture.

Yeah I get that Murray, I still get stuff on special order from Lee Valley if it’s tools - they know how to ship to Aus. Some things are just frustrating, but I really haven’t found Amazon to be all that Aus friendly. AS i said I have had success with Amazon UK in the past though… perhaps that’s the answer?

@bitingmidge said in Amazon: I have had success with Amazon UK in the past though… perhaps that’s the answer?

Yes… I hadn’t thought of that. Same account. Probably more expensive but avoids the SW Pacific lockout. Good thinking.

I actually found the postage to be cheaper. For some reason Royal Mail is easier that USPS.

Everywhere is cheaper than USPS, even Aust Post.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.