Back from the silo art trip

Haven’t downloaded anything yet but the trip was mixed, the silo art was really worth the drive and got quite a bit of footage and stills, accommodation was not bad, first night at Ararat at the Southern Cross Motel, very comfortable and quiet despite being on a highway, second was in Swan Hill, forgotten the name but the hosts were very good and the room was basic but clean and had everything we needed.
The food was another story, not far from the first motel was the Ararat RSL, generally they are not too bad but this night was the exception, I orderd the open steak sandwich, a tender steak served on toasted turkish bread topped with caramelised onion, bacon, tomato relish, cheese and salad, I decided to drop the egg offering.
Bloody hell, the Turkish bread I swear was a concrete facsimile, the steak was passable, the bacon was cold and the cheese was a kraft slice and the onions were stewed, all this for $25.00.
Rosemary opted for a lamb rogan josh which was served in a bowl already mixed up with rice and submerged under 1/4 of oil, there was a flat round disc that supposedly was Indian bread and burnt pappadams that looked like they had been under the grill.
All in all a pretty poor start, we forgot to order breakfast so had a Maccas breakfast in the morning which infinitely better than dinner.
Lunch at Warracknabeal, a simple pub offering, not pretentious and quite OK with a Coopers pale ale.
Another club dinner at Swan Hill, didn’t feel like a lot so opted for the good ole bangers and mash with onions and bacon.
It arrived, two snags topped with two rashers of bacon on chips with gravy and a salad.
Rosemary ordered the ubiquitous veal parma and got chicken, asked for a salad and got stewed veges.
No decent beer so went for a cider which was OK.
Muesli bars and orange juice for brekky.
Decided to stop in for a pub lunch on the way home at one of our favourite haunts and we actually got what we ordered so that was the high light of the trip on the eating front.
I think if we do it again we will take cut lunches.

last edited by bunyip

…and to think that Victoria was the pioneer of the pub lunch, and from memory they were bloody good. Melbourne was famous for its restaurants and country pubs served a legendary feed. So much for progress.

I have always been suspicious of ‘good plain country cooking’.
Melbourne as arule is good but questionable once you move out a bit, I am also very wary of reccomendations especially after the old mans cleaner telling us that ‘hogs breath’ was the best steak you could get in Australia, trust me it is a loooooong way from the top.

I think that the franchised fast food places & the ‘Hot Box’ at the Road House buggered it up for the good old Pub & Cafe Meals.

administrators

When we went to Tasmania we just asked Google where to eat near me and looked at the reviews. The only time we didn’t do that we ended up having a crap cup of tea.

As much as I dislike Maccas I find the breakfast isn’t too bad, the coffee is crap so I settle for the barely palatable orange juice (watered down concentrate which they often get wrong).
Never take anything from the ‘hot box’ limp chips, concrete pies, mushy or rubber hamburgers but there is the odd roadhouse that does it right.
There is one on the edge of Mt Gambier that does jaffles, anything you want and they are not bad, Shell servo in Colac that does fresh sangers and a hamburger joint on the edge of Lightning Ridge that does a chilli burger that makes your eyes water… twice, their home made chilli sauce is lethal and will make you think you are shitting red hot scoria the next day.
Venuto club in Bulleen does a porterhouse with vincotto and salted ricotta that is worth travelling two hours for, Baxter Tavern in Baxter does a wood fired seafood pizza drizzled with fresh garlic that is one of the best I have had.
The list goes on but the most memorable are always the bad ones.
I made Vichyssoise last night laced with cumin to give it a bit of a lift and served with toasted turkish bread, great on a cold night and I know it is right.

@bunyip said in Back from the silo art trip:

shitting red hot scoria

Can you come over & top up the rocks in my BBQ… wait, maybe that isn’t a good idea. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here are three of the six we visited, is that Gordon Ramsay on the left in the first one???

That is as good as watching paint dry… You could have at least buzzed the pigeons for the hell of it.
The Sheep Hills painting with the bloke who looks like Gordon Ramsay is four indigenous faces, that one is meant to be Wergaia Elder, Uncle Ron Marks.

last edited by Cliff Rogers

Well, it does look like Ramsay…

Maybe Cliff’s got it wrong… maybe the middle one is a young Jamie Oliver!

Would be nice to have a drone!

P

administrators

You can always ask Bunny, I’m sure his wife won’t mind. He might even bring his flying thing too.

Is Jamie Oliver a drone?

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.