Nespresso Machine

After 60 years of hating coffee SWMBO has now developed a liking for latte so big hearted me went out and bought a De Longhi espresso pod machine.
I had the Aldi K-Fee which I thought was good until I got some Vittoria pods, each is individually wrapped and despite the pod being smaller than the K-Fee I found the flavour much more intense plus there is a greater range of coffee available.
The milk frother is an integral part of the machine and produces a latte in one operation (I only drink black so not an issue for me) plus the complete unit is considerably smaller than the Aldi machine.
$349 on sale from Hardly Normal less my cash back of $100 from the Dyson V10 vacuum cleaner we recently bought.
Happy wife, we’ll see.
Now anticipating a flaming from the coffee purists about the evil pods…

Why spend so much money? What’s wrong with good coffee made in a plunger?

I find plunger coffee somewhat anemic and no crema.

I have an Aldi pod machine , bought it when the real coffee m/c went in for a clean.
Now it only gets used by the grandkids for hot chocolate.

administrators

I’ve had Nespresso machines for 15 years.

My preferred coffee is an espresso. I’ve given up trying to get good ones in any of the cafes in the city and now drink flat whites. The milk hides a lot of sins.

My trusty Nespresso machine makes near perfect short blacks every time.

Try the purple flavour, Arpeggio.

administrators

@bunyip said in Nespresso Machine:

Ditto.

Don’t mind it, just not a real coffee.

I have two words for you: Aero Press.

Also the Bialetti stove top works a treat.

Both need a slight amount of care. The Aeropress needs water at about 85° which is easy to do once you get the hang of it, and makes the smoothest brew possible.

The stove top machine needs to be “cooked” ever so slowly so that the shot just oozes out of it. Done right, you’ll get a thick black Italian goo, not much crema, but great coffee.

Nestlé is the enemy of the common man. There is so much underlying hatred for the company in the EU that if it wasn’t for George Clooney no one would buy its product. I was even accosted on my way to the bin a week ago because I was taking some empty San Peligrino bottles and they are a Nestlé product! (apparently)

Pod coffee tastes great, but what is added to it to make it consistently good? I suspect a bit of instant crema powder, some flavour, and who knows what else. Then there’s the non- recyclable waste they cause… @Dog I’m ashamed of you!

My gripe with those pod machines is the serious over packaging involved. Surely there’s enough plastic crap in the world?

We’ve had a regular espresso machine for the last 20 years. Actually we’re on our second and it’s 11 years old. Probably time for a new one :)

I rarely buy a coffee out.

1. I have a gas operated espresso unit for the yacht, Expressi, makes a nice coffee using aNO1 8g cylinder.
  2. There are alloy pod recycle points so it can be recycled.
  3. My pods are Vittoria.
  4. I can’t be stuffed with cleaning up after the traditional espresso machines, been there.
  5. I will get shit canned regardless of what I use that someone does not agree with.

I will get shit canned regardless of what I use that someone does not agree with.

Of course. Isn’t that why you started it?

There are those who think that as long as there are 43 beans in every cup, nothing else matters.

I prefer International Roast

You need a lesson in how to make Plunger Coffee.

1. Good beans
  2. Ask for, or grind them yourself to drip filter grind which is a tad finer than the grind for a plunger.
  3. Heat the plunger, fill it full of hot water & let it stand while you boil the water.
  4. I use one slightly heaped measure per cup of coffee. (Fiddle with the amount of coffee you use to get it to the strength you like.)
  5. When the water is boiled, empty the plunger, put your coffee in & poor the hot water on it, now give it a damned good stir with a hot teaspoon.
  6. Put the plunger in the top of the jug & lower it til it is just above the coffee, don’t push it into the coffee just yet. The heat of the coffee will keep it warm.
  7. When you reckon it has stood for long enough, plunge it part way, only about 20% of the way, lift it back up a bit & wait 10 seconds & then plunge it slowly all the way. You’ll need to practice this a bit & fiddle with the time, if you let it stand too long, it goes cold & gets bitter.
  8. Use a fine bone china cup not a pottery mug & heat it with hot water as well.
  9. As soon as you poor the coffee, rinse the plunger out & fill it with hot water & let it stand. That will stop the plunger screen from collecting oils that set & give future coffee a bitter taste.

The coffee you get this way will be hot, have good flavour, & a crema.
The downside of the finer grind is that you will get a bit of sludge in the bottom of your cup.
You can either swill it like I do or leave it like you would if you had leaves in the bottom of a cup of tea.
I reckon this works better than using a darker roast just to get good flavour.

last edited by Cliff Rogers

Agree Cliff, but try with the water just below boiling point. 85° or so, it makes it much easier to keep that bitterness away! Who’d a thought it would get so hard to boil a billy at smoko?

1. You can buy refillable pods on ebay, good for 30 shots is claimed.

I use a Bialetti stainless steel stovetop pot, and totally agree with Midge on the slow process. I do mine on the glass electric stovetop, full pelt until the coffee just starts to dribble out, then turn it off and the residual heat is enough to slowly finish the job with a “whoosh” right at the end.
Takes a while to learn the pot, the grind has to be right and the amount has to be spot on otherwise it either chokes and spits out a bitter brew or weak underbrewed slop.

92°C is meant to be optimum but that is for expresso, in a plunger, the water loses temp very quickly as it is poured in.
If I started with 85°C water I’d get a cold coffee, I like my coffee hot.

Not a coffee drinker myself but the darling wife is. She always goes for the expensive machines. The latest one is a Nespresso.$599 from $799. She said it was a good deal and I believed her.

Jura impressa C5 , Beans one side , water the other less than a minute to make and a fresh grind for every cup of coffee, taste depends on the grind setting and the quality of the beans.
Beans from Bibina ( bulk buy ) at $17 a kilo.
Bring the beans home and Vac seal them , machine holds about 200g at a time.

Very rarely buy or drink coffee when i’m out.

I never buy coffee out as there is no consistency, once I find one I like I strick with it, generally a strong rip your head off style with no rough edges.

@cliff-rogers said in Nespresso Machine:

, I like my coffee hot.

Ahh… I like mine hot to begin with, but after twenty minutes of gentle sipping it doesn’t matter how hot it started out.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.