Chrome, Android and the wonder of all things not Apple

Re: Chrome Updates.

Well I try to understand your hatred for all things Apple, those of you who do, and I certainly understand those that don’t give a toss and still buy Apple stuff, but I don’t understand how you put up with this:-

https://digitalcontentnext.org/blog/2018/08/21/google-data-collection-research/

Please enlighten me.

I didn’t read all of it 'cos it is too many words & sounds like scare mongering…

1. Chrome will work better on some sites, particularly secure sites like banks, than what Safari does. End of story, no further arguments, it just does.
  2. If you close the app instead of leaving it running in the background, it won’t track you & yer battery will last much longer. Always close apps you aren’t using.
  3. If you have a Goolge account you are more track-able if the account has all you details but if that account is kinda screwy ambiguous & you change the privacy in settings then for all it is worth it has NFI who the pluck it is tracking.

Did I mention how Safari has problems working with some sites, particularly banks?

I’m not anti Apple, we have an iMac, 2 iPads, & 2 iPhones.
The iMac was a mistake & won’t happen again in a hurry, unless I wanted to get into home recording music digitally, then I’d get one with Thunderbolt.
The iPads are handy for portability, travel, reading in bed, & I have all my music charts on mine for when I play uke/guitar/bass.
The iPhones (5c & SE) (both cost less than $370) work better in remote areas than any of Telstra’s Blue Tick Androids in the same price range & I can buy parts for them off eBay & fix them myself. (Screens, speakers, batteries, home buttons ETC)
However, I have just found that Chrome works better than Safari full stop.

We also have 4 Win 10 computers.
The one I use most is a Win 10 PC & 99% of the time I use FF with a stack of adblocking anti tracking plugins, sometimes I have to switch to Chrome 'cos the plugins in FF stop some things, the most annoying is Meteye on the BOM site.

I don’t understand some dyed-in-the-wool Apple users who hate all things not Apple. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

last edited by Cliff Rogers

PS. Guess what the Find My iPhone app does on an iPhone.

I am waiting at the moment for a mate to come and pick me up to go to our local men’s shed.
He is at present at the i store getting a replacement 6s iPhone . He is another one caught up in the iPhone update that stuffs the battery on his iPhone. Yeah buy Apple , and pay forever.

administrators

I don’t hate Apple. Just Apple users.

:)

Does that include Apple Jack.

@tolovar said in Chrome, Android and the wonder of all things not Apple:

Does that include Apple Jack.

Nuh, Jack’s Apple use him, not the other way around. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@cliff-rogers said in Chrome, Android and the wonder of all things not Apple:

I didn’t read all of it 'cos it is too many words & sounds like scare mongering…

1. Chrome will work better on some sites, particularly secure sites like banks, than what Safari does. End of story, no further arguments, it just does.

I know this to be true, but have never had a problem with Safari on the Bank website.

The surprising thing to me about the article, (and you didn’t get to it) was:

A major part of Google’s data collection occurs while a user is not directly engaged with any of its products. The magnitude of such collection is significant, especially on Android mobile devices, arguably the most popular personal accessory now carried 24/7 by more than 2 billion people.

I don’t understand some dyed-in-the-wool Apple users who hate all things not Apple. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Me either! :D And I don’t give a toss about data collection (within reason) - sometimes I think Google is reading my mind, and I can’t figure out how when I logically look back at my browsing history! I’m resigned to the fact that if someone wants to find you, then they probably can, unless you are a bad guy on the run from the coppers, in which case there must be some sort of electronic cloud you can get, or all the bad guys would be caught wouldn’t they?

@bitingmidge said in Chrome, Android and the wonder of all things not Apple:

…or all the bad guys would be caught wouldn’t they?

Only if there are coppers smart enough😒

never had a problem with Safari on the Bank website

Gina now has stuff with 3 different banks sometimes she can manage on the MacBook by using Chrome, sometimes she has to change to a Windows computer to do what she needs.

One of the banks I use has an App for the iPad & that works better than Safari.

Gina now has stuff with 3 different banks sometimes she can manage on the MacBook by using Chrome, sometimes she has to change to a Windows computer to do what she needs.
One of the banks I use has an App for the iPad & that works better than Safari.

OK I’ll name names - I log on to BOQ, ANZ, ING, Latitude Finance and Credit Agricole (FR) do not have a problem with Safari. If Paypal is a bank, neither does paypal - all of those are accessed on ancient macs.

Some sites do, but that gets down to ad blocking, anti popup and cookie settings in my experience. I get around that by not dealing with those companies any more! ;)

iiNet bless their hearts, have not updated their App for the iPhoneX - they are on my hitlist as soon as we have NBN and can sign up Amaysim!

OK I’ll name names - I log on to BOQ, ANZ, ING, Latitude Finance and Credit Agricole (FR) do not have a problem with Safari.

See if you can generate a transaction report & then print it.
See if you can print a statement.

See if you can generate a transaction report & then print it.
See if you can print a statement.

Do it every month Cliff? Or to be more precise, the Skipper does it and she is the least computer abled person on the planet.

Ahhh… now that I think of it, the ANZ “print” button doesn’t work does it? But my dear unsophisticated beloved, only prints using the machine menu! (Perhaps ignorance truly is bliss!). I actually only print using the keyboard shortcut. - just a habit I haven’t dropped.

The button on the web page doesn’t work in Safari, it works for some banks in Chrome & sometimes it generates a report on the screen & prints a blank page with the bank header & footer.
Works like a bought one on Win 10.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.