Bloody cars

Last Thursday got a bit of a shake in the front end of the Tucson, thought it was a balance problem although it came on suddenly and going uphill it felt like I was going to run off the road.
The dealer couldn’t book it in until next Monday and I said it was also due for a 75000km service, I said I wasn’t using it in its present state and took it to the dealer on Tuesday.
Got a call Wednesday, they had a cancellation and did the service and found the front passenger side drive shaft had shit itself, no problems but it has to come from Korea and could take up to three weeks.
Back to the Navara for the interim, not happy Jan.
Seems I just got lucky and driving it could have seen the whole come adrift which could be a tad unpleasant.
I was offered a courtesy car free but I don’t like the insurance arrangements so will use the other car at home for the moment, dealer is fine and said as soon as it is in it will be fitted and I will be on my way.
Not a buig job by all accounts but annoying none the less.
Unlike some brands I didn’t get the ‘they all do that’ or ‘it must be the way you drive’ bullshit for which I am grateful.

Hyundai are legendary for their service. Niece is driving an i45 which was bought by a Bro inlaw (her stepdad) about 9 years ago, last year they sent a recall notice for an inspection/ modification due to some problems a few of that model were having. Vehicle was checked for any engine damage and a free modification was made.
There was no damage and the modification was a new dipstick for an increase of 1Ltr of oil and the oil specification was changed up to semi synthetic. Total oil and filter change done free. Not bad for a vehicle which had already been in service for at least 8 years.

We had one recall after the problem was fixed, it was a faulty bonnet latch, they re[placed it at the 1000km service and told me a recall notice would be sent out and to ignore it.
I have no problem with Hyundai and there was no bun fight, just pissed off that I don’t have my daily drive.
On a positive note they said it could be in sooner but they always quote the longest time.
They are not like Nissan who try to wriggle out of any warranty claim, can’t fix the stuffed gearbox as you have a Toyota globe in the tail light.

My “mate” @TheAutoExpert has a lot to say about service from various companies.

Good: Kia Hyundai, Subaru, BMW

Beyond Woeful: Holden, Ford, VW, Benz

And I can’t remember the rest…

Fortunately, I’ve never had to test the availability of Toyota spares.:grin:

I had a faulty front driveshaft on a Hilux, it was fixed under warranty six years on as it never had a dust cover, one dealer said they would charge me the one that did the work didn’t, I went back to them for parts etc but use independents for servicing.
I get the Hyundais serviced a couple of times a year by dealers for the ‘free’ roadside assist, it does work out cheaper.
We have three in the family now as youngest inherited the i20 when Rosemary got her i30.

@shy-ted said in Bloody cars:

Fortunately, I’ve never had to test the availability of Toyota spares.:grin:

Which begs the question:

Why do Toyota blokes get so defensive about them? “you can get parts for Toyotas anywhere” they’d say, looking aghast when they came across our Suzuki in the middle of nowhere - some would actually get cross when I’d ask’

“So what do you need parts for?”

@bitingmidge said in Bloody cars:

“So what do you need parts for?”

Rats chew car parts, my old man managed to shoot his Toyota by accident, also managed to reverse into a power pole, eventually the brakes wear out, Mum hit a grid post, cleaned up a mirror, etc.

Emus damage front panels on a Hi Ace and cure constipation.

@bitingmidge said in Bloody cars:

My “mate” @TheAutoExpert has a lot to say about service from various companies.

Good: Kia Hyundai, Subaru, BMW

Beyond Woeful: Holden, Ford, VW, Benz

And I can’t remember the rest…

I would call your mate but I can’t find my dildo!!!

@bunyip said in Bloody cars:

I would call your mate but I can’t find my dildo!!!

from that be nice voice in my head " don’t say anything , he’s already sitting on some rude reply’s"

Watch John Cadogen and you will see what I mean, I like his no bullshit approach to the car industry.
Nothing rude but he is a thorn in the side of those who churn out shit cars and worse warranties.

My son recently bought a 2005 Mitsubishi Triton, but it had an issue switching into 4WD - it has auto hubs (actually more of a diff lock). Anyway we quickly tracked the problem down to 2 switches on the transfer case - both completely stuffed.
Price from Mitsubishi was $186 EACH. Bugger that … a quick look on Aliexpress and got them (non-genuine of course) for $15 each. Even splashed out a couple of bucks extra for faster post.

last edited by Joker

Mine has just had its second birthday but I have had no problems with service.
My common rail injectors shit themselves on the Nissan and they wanted $1200 each for them, I sourced non genuine (???) Denso for $550 each, they are cheaper now and I have seen them for $300.
There are not many injector manufacturers in the world and most of the Jap manufacturers use Denso, the other big one is Bosch, apart from that you have to get the right one and they are made for specific vehicles but those boxes are expensive marked Nissan.

You reckon Nissan are expensive, the letters BMW printed on anything increase its price by a minimum of 400%.
Going back to our bike days, spark plug in a BMW Box $5.00, said plug is clearly marked Bosch. Same plugs in KMart 8 for $12.00. Air filter made in Austria, BMW box and sticker on filter $38.00, same filter manufacturers box box no sticker $11.00.
Some of their bearings, usually a standard bearing with a groove for a circlip cut into it, at least 5 times the price of the standard bearing, and usually there is no reason for a locater clip.
Oil filter fo a K series BMW bike $29.00, same filter used in the 3 series BMW, made by Ryco for $4.00 at the local spares shop.

last edited by Termite

@tolovar said in Bloody cars:

from that be nice voice in my head " don’t say anything , he’s already sitting on some rude reply’s"

you have to have been there to understand! :D

@termite said in Bloody cars:

You reckon Nissan are expensive, the letters BMW printed on anything increase its price by a minimum of 400%.

I had at least one BMW in the “stable” for thirty years - each of them bought used but “near new” each of them driven to near death (3-500,000 k’s). Most dealer parts are cheaper than Honda parts, but there are plenty of options - why buy “BMW” spark plugs when there are alternatives?

Our Nissan Pulsar cost five times as much per kilometre to run when we had it as the BMW 5 series we had at the time. But like all cars repairs can get expensive if you hand your wallet to a dealer!

Have a Nissan duke, nice little unit and the wife loves it, only had 2 or 3 issues under warranty and both were cosmetic ( glove Box etc ) which were fixed no probs.

Then 2 weeks after warranty, ( me thinking we were still covered ), the drivers door handle failed , but the car was an off the floor and the warranty finished 2 months ago.

Now being an anal retentive arsehole I had the salesman on phone video saying the warranty started from the date of purchase.

But Alas he didn’t work there anymore and the dealership and Nissan didn’t want to know .
Now speaking to a mechanic at the dealership I find out he has changed 7 or more failed door handles.

Re ring Nissan and ask politely why a known fault wasn’t recalled , told it wasn’t a fault. Now here good friends I Lied, told the nice young girl ( well I think is was by the voice and name Shana which I asked her to spell ) that i had contacted the fair trading and they had said that I had a fair case but should give the company to respond before going further.
What was the name of her immediate superior and the state manager and phone number as I would need this if legal action was required. ( and all this with a pleasant calm voice).
5 minutes and a male voice comes on and starts, but I stop him and say you have no objection to this being recorded for legal reasons , pause , we seem to have a problem he says, I explain , after getting him to spell his name, that I don’t have a problem and why.

End result nice man with a title of some sort of manager agrees to replace the handle free of cost , though we did haggle over labor costs to fit, until I told him that this was as far as we needed to go and as this was a recorded conversation I would go back to fair trading and as I was a self funded retiree and had heaps of time it wasn’t a problem for me. Plus I would do whatever I could on social media Mr …

Don’t have his name as I never recorded the conversation or contacted Fair Trading but Mr … agreed and they payed all costs and I got a new handle.

Bottom line Nissan will try to screw you over warranty stuff if they can, pity they make such fucking good vehicles.

last edited by tolovar

That is well known with the 3 litre patrols that crapped themselves just out of warranty, Nissan were well aware of the problem but did nothing about it.
I would never buy another Nissan for that reason.

Just got a call, car is ready and waiting to be picked up, they won’t tell me what the problem was as it is a warranty claim and Hyundai don’t want to waste time explaining what exactly was wrong, it probably took longer to explain that than what the problem was with the drive shaft

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.