Pizza Ovens again

Well it’s in and broken in, experimenting with different woods and found that redgum is useless, takes too long to get going but I have a nice selection of hardwoods that need to be split to about no more than 3" thick for best results, when the pizzas are done just shut down the front vent on the door and the chimney and cook some spuds or onions for later, haven’t tried a roast yet but it works well and I am quite happy with it.
Stuffed up with a batch of dough, 70% hydration and it was like clag, ran off the board and onto the floor, tried to recover it with flour but was a bit of a disaster.
Back to 65% and I was weighing it too.
Bought a wood peel, much better that the metal one and less sticking, was using flour and all was well, I used semolina before as it has a higher burn point than flour of cornmeal.

last edited by bunyip

You definitely fucked something up mate because, as I do every 2 weeks, I made up a batch last night that was 72% hydration and it turned out perfect. I think you need new glasses. :)

last edited by Termite

Probably got a batch of imperial water out of the metric tap, I weighed the flour and water, 500g and 350g salt and yeast were not going to effect the weight, was a total disaster, yeast was good as all had risen, the icing on the cake was I couldn’t get the fire started as there was no decent paper.
The Herald Sun is an excellent fire starter and all we had was local rags, must have something to do with the ink they use as the bastards won’t burn like the former.

@bunyip said in Pizza Ovens again:

Probably got a batch of imperial water out of the metric tap, I weighed the flour and water, 500g and 350g salt and yeast were not going to effect the weight, was a total disaster, yeast was good as all had risen, the icing on the cake was I couldn’t get the fire started as there was no decent paper.
The Herald Sun is an excellent fire starter and all we had was local rags, must have something to do with the ink they use as the bastards won’t burn like the former.

Dry yeast or yeast in MORE liquid?

The Herald Sun is an excellent fire starter

Glad it’s good for something. Of course, if you want paper for rollies, you can’t go past the Times airmail edition. Just run it through the bandsaw to cut the papers to length.

@termite said in Pizza Ovens again:

Dry yeast or yeast in MORE liquid?

dry
rarely read the papers now but buy one sometimes for the crosswords on a quiet night.

Getting the feel for this now and last night we got some excellent results, cooked a pizza in about a minute, puffed up with a nice light char on the edges, Rosemary made one with spinach, capsicum, onion and bocconcini, I thought it would be terrible but it tasted OK, I was surprised.
A bit of dough left over so I made a pizza base then rolled it lightly and squeezed the seam together and threw it in the oven when it was down to about 200c, took about five minutes and made an excellent loaf of bread, full of holes and pockets with a nice crisp outside.
Ran out of ash so now using some gum we have, deep red colour but don’t know what it is but put it on the splitter and converted it to about 3" logs which works well, easy to start, oven takes about an hour from start to ready despite the blurb which says it will be ready in 20 minutes, that really is bullshit.
Making the ddough, I use the breadmaker to mix then turn it into a bowl and cover, gives better results than the breadmaker as it is too warm, the dough rises then collapses on itself and it is a sticky mess, the other way takes longer but results in a better consistency and flavour, I do it the day before and find it will keep well for four days.
Bought a small round peel, about 6" diameter, great for spinning the pizza around in the oven, complete control and when cooked can lift it out, even Rosemary says I look like I know what I am doing.
Downside today, my pizza was made with a super hot sopressa, I love it but today I feel like someone has reamed me with red hot barbed wire, will I do it again, probably.
I may have mentioned it but for the launch I am using a wooden peel, works a treat and apparently the metal ones are cold and cause condensation between the dough and the metal which causes it to stick, the wood is warmer and I have not had one stick yet and only using a light dusting of plain flour, a quick shuffle and it slides around easily.
This has been a real learning curve and an interesting one, my pizzas are better that the shop bought ones and not greasy, heap of fun making them and working on new ideas, next is trying roasts and may even invest in a Tuscan grill to put in and see what that yields.
I also use a mixture 50:50 plain and 00 flour.
Next on the agenda in Turkish bread and Indian breads.

Sounds like you are well on the way Luigi.

I like using the Pizza dough to make Focaccia.
I make a topping of sautéd onion garlic & fresh herbs, sage & rosemary are the best.
I dimple the top of the raw loaf with my fingers & spread the saute mix on it & then add crumbled gorgonzola, chopped fig & sliced green olives.
You can use quince paste or any of those sorts of spreads you would see with cheese & any sort of strong cheese. (Sparingly)

last edited by Cliff Rogers

Sounds good, except the olives, how thick to start?
Here is a must miss, the obsession for bloody cheese,

last edited by bunyip

Just finished making a batch of dough for tonight, Rosemary has told everyone how wonderful they are and of my great skills, has invited a few round for pizza tonight.
Will probably be a monumental fuck up and I will burn the lot, how many kilos of cheese per pizza?

Went OK but a couple of problems, the oven got too hot, my fault for stoking it up too much, the bases cooked but the top was barely done, the bocconcini barely melted, next time I’ll aim for 350C on the built in thermometer, the infrared showed 490C on the floor.
Rosemary went and bought some Lighthouse bread and pizza mix as Woolies didn’t have any 00 flour, it was a country store and they don’t grasp these things, I will get some Farina today, also it was wholemeal, didn’t realise until I had mixed it and the labelling doesn’t really jump out at you.
I had a tub of small bocconcini and one fell off during the launch, I thought there would be a mess to clean up but the is just a black spot where it fell, no residue or grease, I thought it would be a bit of a clean up.
After the pizzas I had a couple of cast iron plates to season, put in a few mills of olive oil and stuck them in the back, within a couple of minutes they were smoking, just left them there and will retrieve them tonight when I get home, I think they may be seasoned now.
Got to get these logs sorted to control the temperature, we will get there.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.